While trying to install Windows XP after having installed Windows 7 or Windows Vista first, a blue screen of death (BSOD) appears.
The error message basically says
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
There could be numerous issues that could cause this problem including memory, hard drive issues, etc. The problem for me was the SATA setting for my Lenovo T400 was not configured properly.
The following steps may vary depending on your hardware:
- Restart the machine
- As the machine boots up, enter BIOS setup
- Using your cursor navigate to Config
- Navigate to Serial ATA (SATA)
- Change the SATA Controller Mode Option to ‘Compatibility’ [or IDE]
- Save the setting and exit
- Reinstall Windows XP
That should do it!